Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Re-Registration of Marriage for Non-Muslim Couples [Malaysian Husband, Hong Konger Wife and Hong Kong Marriage certificate]

So here I am to sum up a quick post, so the next time I have a Malaysian Friend who is marrying to a foreigner wife and registered their marriage overseas. I will show him my post

So firstly, as some of you may have known, I am a Malaysian and my wife is Hong Konger. Both of us work in Singapore and got registered with a Hong Kong Marriage certificate in Hong Kong.

After my registration in Hong Kong Dec15, we held our dinner reception in Kota Kinabalu in March 16

So everything looks to be in perfect order until the day I was told by an officer in Malaysia Embassy in Hong Kong that in order to get Malaysia's citizenship, I need to have a Malaysia Marriage Certificate. WTF!

It will take 4 months for Malaysia embassy in Hong Kong to process and by that time, when Jenny is already on her 7th month. It is too late for us to apply. Jayden needed a passport to come back Singapore.

Of course, everything could have been done in the Headquarters of JPN (Jambatan Pendaftaran Negara) which is in Kuala Lumpur. However, this option would requires both of us to travel to KL and is too much of hassle for my wife as she is pregnant now.

We opt for the marriage re-registration in JB option

Re-Registration Of Marriage For Non-Muslim Couples Registered According To The Laws Of The Foreign Country On Or After 01.03.1982 – Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara

So we took a bus to JB, rented a car and an accommodation in JB. Our first destination is JPN JB [Setia Tropika, 81200 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia]

After getting all the forms and a brief direction from the friendly staff at JPN, filled up the form KC 06, prepared some of the document photocopies and photos of us on a designated background. 

JB JPN office is closed between 1pm to 2pm for Lunch. 

For our case, one tricky part is that need to see Hong Kong immigration stamp on my passport to prove that I entered Hong Kong for my marriage registration in Hong Kong. 

Apparently, Hong Kong immigration officer did not stamp on my passport. I then used my flight booking email as proof but it needs to be stamped by Malaysian commissioners for oath which could be done in JB High Court.

So on the second day, we made our trip to High Court for the translation and also commissioners for oath. 
We then drove back to JB JPN for our documents submission. 

After submitting all the documents, cleared the penalty for submitting the application later than 6 months and checked by the officer in JPN, our Malaysian re-registration certificate was issued to us on the spot.

So we are officially registered and our child can now apply for Malaysia Passport

Tips:
Smile and speak malay to the officers.
Plan your timing before you head to JB, as translator department in high court is closed on Sunday while JPN is open.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous04:58

    Hi, I am facing the similar situation at the moment. I had registered with my wife in Singapore, and was told that I need to get myself a Certificate of Marriage in Malaysia in order to make a record. Just to check with you, how is the re-registration in JB like? Do we just need to fill up the form, prepare all the documents required, and just go to any JPN and submit it for verification? Do we still need to go through signing session and making oath since we already did it overseas?

    Please WhatsApp me at +60127592184 if you know about it.

    Many thanks!

    Vincs Kong

    ReplyDelete