Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Heart to heart talk

Tried to recall all the conversation that we had on a trip to a concrete plant.

J(Myself): I have been planning to settle down in Singapore. What do you think?

K(The Plant Manager): It's good, but just go for PR. don't go for citizen. Unless you are married to another Malaysian, only one of you should go for citizen, the other counterpart should remain as Malaysia citizen. This is to ensure you could reap the benefits from both countries. This is a good idea, as Singapore citizen can get cheaper education for children, accommodation and etc. It is like a native in Malaysia. As for the wife to remain Malaysian, this is for retirement in the future when the couple gets old.

J: "How much do you think a household income is required to sustain a two children family here in Singapore." I think the curiosity in me has pushed me to ask more daring question to a stranger.

K:" It depends on situation, for average, both husband and wife would definitely need to work in order to sustain the lifestyle and also the high standard of living here in Singapore. I would say it ranges from 6k - 15k per household. Let's do a brief calculation on my expenses."

As he continues with a big sigh, "I spent about 2k-3k per month alone on my children, 4k on mortgages, and also 1.5k on my transport.( he is driving a brand new 7-seater Volkswagen which he bought for about 150k). It is about SGD 9k per month in order to sustain the a family with two children here in Singapore."

I was listening to all these at the cost of nearly nothing apart from my working time, which my boss paid me for it. Looking at all the figures, I think there is some thinking needs to be done over the weekend already. I need to see if is worth the effort for me to stay here and work until I am 70++
I was intrigued with his lifestyle and decided to ask further, " How do you manage your role as a plant manager, father of two, husband and also a son?"

K: I work until 6pm on weekday, fetch my children and have dinner with them. By the time we reached home, it is about 7pm already. After taking their shower, they would have dinner with me and by that time, it would have been 8pm. They then would need to do their school assignment and also enrichment's class home work. Over the weekend, I would need to bring them to tuition and also enrichment class. These are necessary as the education in Singapore nowadays require a lot of effort from parents. Normally there are three enrichment classes for them to attend, each will be 2 hours and there will be a short break in between. I would have to wait nearby the tuition class on that day.This is to ensure my kids are well taken care of. It would take me about 6 hours of waiting hours for them. Bear in mind Jason, not just me that is waiting for the kid, there are a lot of parents that are doing the same thing as I did. I am no more special than typical parents in Singapore.

J:I guess, it is not easy for the child to bear all these pressure from the school and also the parents as well. How can they cope with it?

K: Sadly, the education system here is to squeeze and push the children as much as they can.

J: From my opinion, I am sure at some point, your child will be very grateful with what you have given them .

K: "When?" showing a hint of impatient and slightly agitated, he seems.

J: When he is around 18-20 years old. I answered calmly.

K: By that time I am very old already,as my oldest kid is only 8 now.

To avoid prolonged awkward silence while I am sipping my tea kosong from Giant Hawker centre in Tampines. I quickly asked another question: "How is your children enrichment class?" while swallowing my tea.

K: I think it is very important for a child to attend phonic class. It is basic of all language and it helps in the child entire career.


It is amazing how I had a wonderful conversation as this depth with someone I knew for about 20 minutes. I am looking for more of these conversation to know more what is in life in Singapore from people's perspective.





2 comments:

  1. Hahaha seems like your conversation skills are improving over time! "说话之道" is an important skill in life. I shall learn from you man! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, just having fun trying to pen down some of the thoughts. it is amazing to read back. reminds me a lot of memories now.

      Delete