Saturday, January 26, 2013

Value Investing-Mind Kinesis

I joined an investing course called Value Investing by Mind Kinesis and think that this course has somehow added value to myself. At least, I am being walked-through how to set up a brokerage account with Optionexpress, US-based brokerage firm in Singapore. As this course had cost me my arms and legs, I feel like I am now more obligated to invest in stock.

The course is 4 days- Part of the reason why I would like to record some of the highlights that I have experienced over the course is to enable me to retain some of the money I had spent on it.

Basically, Stock analytical skill taught in the course was Fundamental Analysis:
1) Qualitative analysis 2) Quantitative analysis. 

For (1) Qualitative Analysis, we learned about looking for a business that is in our circle of competence. How familiar we are with the industry, as we are trained to invest in a business rather than a commodities. It would be highly advisable that we know the business inside out.

Then we would analyse what is the  economic moat of the business,  we were given some for this. It is good fun to be able to gain some financial knowledge while doing this exercise. We were given to study a few case studies in order to identify economic moat.  

(2)Quantitative analysis, this is the part where we will have to learn how to read 3 basic financial statements: 1) Cash Flow Statement 2) Balance Sheet 3 ) Profit and Loss. This part, we were given case study of a business, and analyse it as a business which we would like to take over. I will not go into details on this, as I believe this would be easily learn from books or internet.

In the course, we were given an opportunity to learn how to pitch a stock too, we were separated into groups, discuss, and investigate stocks. Then, we set up booth in a trade show and explain to people about some potential stocks which we had investigated. We also conducted a presentation on it. During the process, it was a good experience to meet mentors and have a chance to see how the they eventually analyse/pick a stock. It is like learning how to buy fresh and quality vegetables/ fish while following my mum to the market when I was young. 

We played a few games during the course, one of the games that I had learned and enjoyed the most is the virtual stock market session. I somehow reacted to the market, investor's sentiment and eventually became a speculator. I really thought I was clever enough to beat the market, until I lost all my virtual money. The Experience at that particular moment is very real. 

Through this post I would like to say thank you to both founders of Mind Kinesis. Two man Cayden Chang and Sean Seah.


No comments:

Post a Comment