Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Reading log:Beating the street by Peter lynch

I read this book over the weekend, it describe peter lynch life as a portfolio manager. Expanding his portfolio and most importantly how he managed to make profit from stock market. He also explained step by step on how he goes about picking stocks, step-by-step. For example, he sits in his favourite shopping mall and observe people around him, what do they buy etc. He also visit the companies, factories and understand more about how they make money. 

There are a few principles which I would highlight here. 

  1. When the operas outnumber the football games three to zero, you know there is something wrong with your life. He regretted being unable to spend time with his family. 
  2. Gentlemen who prefer bonds don't know what they are missing. 
  3. Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon. 
  4. When the yield on long term government bonds exceed the divident yield of the S&P 500 by 6%, sell your stocks and buy bond. 
  5. If you like the store, chances are you'll love the stock. To me, it is more important for me to love the business/products or even shop. Before I would put my money into the shop. This would be the number one priority to me now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment