Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Success journal 782: Bought a losing money company SATS

Once a darling, SATS, an airport management, food solution company. Now they ventured into the air cargo business in Europe. 

Margin is minimal, and huge one-off costs for the takeover of a European company. 

Shareholders are taking the consequences of this. No dividend, the share price dropped etc. 

I bought it at 2.72 and now is already 2.52. Maybe I should focus less on the price and more on the moats and business opportunities. 

I feel like my knowledge retention is not as strong so I rely on staying organised. 

When I entered at 2.72, I am looking at a 3.7% yield per annum, it is impressive how this calculation is shown by the Fifth person and I appreciate the sharing of their knowledge. 

At this point, 3.7% is not a very attractive return. But is letting the money work for me.  It is not easy to have an investor mindset in this bearish market. 

To buy while others are instilling fear. Focus on the business model, moat etc. 

One thought I have for this company is that they are partially owned by the Singapore government investment fund. Which makes it easier to slack, and government may have a certain degree of influence over their policy setting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment