Friday, November 22, 2013

1% of people's effort

This would be a simple post about my thoughts recently about thinking process and how we approach matters in life. I guess this topic was brought up in my recent trip to Chiang Mai, Thailand. I guess this system would be very useful for my future therefore I would like to pen it down.

So there is a saying that people would rather use 1 % of 100 people's effort than to do 100% of my own effort to complete the job. E.g. Instead of doing a task myself, I would ask 100 people to help me to complete the task. This would leverage the time I have got and also to complete a larger task. Thinking back, people are highly motivated when the task is something worth doing for, and as a team, we could all achieve something bigger, faster and more efficient. I guess it would be a platform for us to learn a lot of things too during the process.

The question brought up by Jonathan during our Chiang Mai trip was how people would contribute their 1% to you in the first place. There are a few methods which in my humble opinion would somehow get people to contribute their 1% to you.

1) The easiest one would be paying people to work for you, so basically I would have to fork the money out to let people work for me. Although it seems easy, but capital is the resources you need to tackle this.
I guess this would be something I would do when I have a certain amount of capital.Of course, with this method, we could probably get 1% more than we required.

2)Be resourceful- I would say in terms of networking, know the key people who could assist me in achieving my goal. This could only be done through networking. Remember there is a saying that it is not about what you know but is about who you know. Also, apart from networking, we could be resourceful in terms of monetary, funding or knowledge which could add value to the group. There is a tendency people would help people with resources, although they don't exactly expect something in return, but their effort could be more justifiable.

An example I would use for this case is Singapore. Singapore is a country with limited resources, they don't even have sufficient water to sustain themselves. They need to rely on Malaysia for water for years. However, the people here are resourceful, I guess this makes Singapore economically sound.

3)System Barter: This is for beginning stage of a cycle, where resources are limited. I help you, you help me. Although this would be very time consuming but at least things could be done. This would be my last resort, as it is time consuming. I contribute 1 % to you and you contribute 1 % back to me.Sometimes, I may need to contribute 2% for a 1% high value work in return.

4) Be convincing: it is possible to convince/persuade people to contribute the 1% to you for free. This would require skills and practice.

As a conclusion, it is key to be resourceful.



No comments:

Post a Comment