Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Little things about Singapore

I have been discussing with people around me about little things in Singapore. Basically, I have asked/survey and done a bit of research for the past one month. So it is time for me to pen down some of my thoughts currently about Singapore.

Of course, I would try to list down the pros and also cons to start off first. Just a note to all my readers, these are just the opinions I gathered from my friends, subcontractors, people with experience about things in Singapore. This post does not reflect what I think about Singapore entirely.

I would like to start from the pros about our Singapore.
  1. International exposure: Basically, it is a lot more accessible to the international market here in Singapore. Even for start up companies around here, there are so many international incubators around supporting the entrepreneurs. After being through a project with some good friends, I believe the exposure I managed to get here is a lot more than what I can get in other countries.  
  2. Politically stable: Despite the little India riot, Singapore has been a relatively stable country with different ethnicities living together in such a small space. 
  3. Street is safe: Yes it is very safe here, at least we can walk around the island at 3 am in the morning alone.
  4. Disaster free: Earthquake and typhoon free. 
  5. Near Home: Home is where my family is, and currently they are now in KK.
  6. Strong currency: Relatively stronger than neighbouring countries. 
  7. Clean city: Enough said. 
  8. Cuisines of Singapore: A world of flavours, basically you can get almost everything here. With its rich multicultural heritage, Singapore serves up a true melting pot of flavours and foods. This would probably get me started another post. 
  9. Good public transport: MRT, Taxi and Bus. They have been serving me well for my stay in Singapore for the past 2 years. I can imagine myself without a car for the next 10 years.
  10. Convenient: Everything in near our door step.
  11. Education: World leading education system. 
  12. Savings: Able to save a portion if we just live modestly. 
  13. Good friends: I am blessed to have such a good friends around in Singapore. They have been really supportive at all time and have brought me up to be a better person. 
  14. Clean Toilet: I must give Singapore credit for this. I just met Jack Sim (Toilet Man). He is the guy who founded world toilet organisation. He has something to learn from and of course has contributed a lot to the toilet standard in Singapore. Did you know? Not flushing your toilet in Singapore is a criminal offence. 
  15. Easier to blend in the Singapore Culture : As a Malaysian Chinese, it is easier for us to blend in to the culture than any other ethnicities.
After I have listed down so many pros, it is time for me to list down a bit of the cons now. 

  1. Rat Race: I would be running the rat race for the rest of my life. It is very difficult for me to start a business from scratch. Without capital and solid network, it is difficult for me to be an entrepreneur. 
  2. Long working hours: I worked for about 70 hours a week. That is equivalent to 12 hours a day for 6 days a week. Time is my essence and it is a limited resource.
  3. Expensive rent: The rent here is painfully expensive. 
  4. Cars are costly: We need to pay COE here, and this COE is just a certificate which would cost us easily up to $50k-70k. 
  5. Pricey networking: It is important to network here, but the price of going out is not cheap. Building network from scratch.
  6. Expensive healthcare: 
  7. Expensive school fees: 
  8. Expensive place to retire: By the time I reach 65, I would need to look for another place to retire. By doing a quick Math, I doubt I could retire comfortably here in Singapore. They got minimum sum too, which would restrict people from drawing all their money out once they reach 65. 
  9. Singlish: There is no way to avoid this if I am going to stay here. Thinking of how my children would talk to me in Singlish really turns me off. 
  10. Concrete jungle: This is common in a big city, breathing dirty air, noise pollution, air pollution etc. 
  11. Kiasu: Singaporean are very competitive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment